Vigil planned for Sarah Everard and all women affected by violence
- Credit: MPS
Residents in Hackney and across London are being asked to light a candle on their doorsteps and observe one minute's silence in memory of all women affected by violence.
Doorstep vigils are being held following the disappearance of 33-year-old Sarah Everard in south London and the murder of 16-year-old Wenjing Lin in south Wales.
Homerton resident and organiser, Ashley Hodges, has encouraged people to get involved tomorrow: "[The vigil] is about commemorating Sarah and every victim of violence and harassment while staying safe."
Sarah disappeared on March 3 at around 9pm.
A serving Met Police officer has been arrested in connection with her disappearance and police said human remains have been found in Kent in the search for her.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah's family released a statement: "Sarah was bright and beautiful - a wonderful daughter and sister. She was kind and thoughtful, caring and dependable. She always put others first and had the most amazing sense of humour."
The Reclaim These Streets vigil will be held on March 13 at 6pm.
Women living in north and east London are encouraged to share their feelings about women's safety by filling in the survey linked in this article.
- 1 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 4 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
- 8 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 9 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 10 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney