Hackney drummer aged seven picks up music award from Mayor of London
- Credit: Getty Images for London Music Awards
A talented seven-year old Djembe player from Hackney has been awarded for his exceptional drumming skills by London Mayor Boris Johnson.
Daniel Aidoo, who attends Kingsmead Primary School in Homerton, was picked out as one of three Outstanding Mayor’s Music Scholars who all picked up their trophies at the inaugural London Music Awards last night.
Daniel’s talents were noticed at an early age when his nursery school teacher spotted his extraordinary sense of rhythm and that he would drum everywhere and at any time he could.
His inherent ability, coupled with the focus and dedication he has given to formally “studying” his craft, are helping him to develop into a remarkable young musician.
Jermain Jackman, the 19-year old who won this year’s The Voice talent show has been appointed London Music Champion by the Mayor, and sang at the glittering event.
You may also want to watch:
The sponsored sell-out event at the Roundhouse was organised to raise money for the Mayor’s Music Fund which has given out grants worth £1.3m over the past couple of years, benefitting over 14,000 young musicians.
Mr Johnson said: “The London Music Awards are more than celebrating the success of the award winners and it is more than a fundraiser, it is an opportunity to rejoice in London’s fabulous musical achievement and to inspire budding musicians across this great city.”
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 6 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 10 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods