Hackney drummer aged seven picks up music award from Mayor of London
- Credit: Getty Images for London Music Awards
A talented seven-year old Djembe player from Hackney has been awarded for his exceptional drumming skills by London Mayor Boris Johnson.
Daniel Aidoo, who attends Kingsmead Primary School in Homerton, was picked out as one of three Outstanding Mayor’s Music Scholars who all picked up their trophies at the inaugural London Music Awards last night.
Daniel’s talents were noticed at an early age when his nursery school teacher spotted his extraordinary sense of rhythm and that he would drum everywhere and at any time he could.
His inherent ability, coupled with the focus and dedication he has given to formally “studying” his craft, are helping him to develop into a remarkable young musician.
Jermain Jackman, the 19-year old who won this year’s The Voice talent show has been appointed London Music Champion by the Mayor, and sang at the glittering event.
You may also want to watch:
The sponsored sell-out event at the Roundhouse was organised to raise money for the Mayor’s Music Fund which has given out grants worth £1.3m over the past couple of years, benefitting over 14,000 young musicians.
Mr Johnson said: “The London Music Awards are more than celebrating the success of the award winners and it is more than a fundraiser, it is an opportunity to rejoice in London’s fabulous musical achievement and to inspire budding musicians across this great city.”
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 7 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 8 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 9 Hackney CEO to retire after 40 years in local government
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web