Hackney Empire panto stars bring Christmas sparkle
- Credit: Archant
Pantomime characters, ‘off her trolley’ Molly, clumsy Colin and Jack herself helped the Speaker of Hackney to switch on the lights and start the countdown to Christmas.
Stars of the Hackney Empire’s production of Jack and the Beanstalk, Debbie Kurup, Georgie Oldman and Darren Hart, nipped outside the theatre in Mare Street before Saturday night’s show
to join Cllr Sade Eddi outside the Town Hall.
The Hackney Community Choir warmed-up the crowd with a choice selection of festive carols before the lights on the massive 25 foot high tree, decorated with red and blue baubles, were switched on.
Cllr Etti said: “It
was fantastic to join with Hackney residents and characters from the Empire panto ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ to celebrate the start of the festive season.
“This year’s design for Hackney Central is wonderful, and really adds to the wintery, festive feel of the borough.
- 1 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 8 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney
“I hope all local people have a fantastic December and enjoy the many events, activities and experiences that Hackney has to offer.”
Four other Christmas trees are sited at the borough’s town centres in Stoke Newington, Hackney Wick, Shoreditch and Dalston.