Hackney Empire panto stars bring Christmas sparkle
- Credit: Archant
Pantomime characters, ‘off her trolley’ Molly, clumsy Colin and Jack herself helped the Speaker of Hackney to switch on the lights and start the countdown to Christmas.
Stars of the Hackney Empire’s production of Jack and the Beanstalk, Debbie Kurup, Georgie Oldman and Darren Hart, nipped outside the theatre in Mare Street before Saturday night’s show
to join Cllr Sade Eddi outside the Town Hall.
The Hackney Community Choir warmed-up the crowd with a choice selection of festive carols before the lights on the massive 25 foot high tree, decorated with red and blue baubles, were switched on.
Cllr Etti said: “It
You may also want to watch:
was fantastic to join with Hackney residents and characters from the Empire panto ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ to celebrate the start of the festive season.
“This year’s design for Hackney Central is wonderful, and really adds to the wintery, festive feel of the borough.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
“I hope all local people have a fantastic December and enjoy the many events, activities and experiences that Hackney has to offer.”
Four other Christmas trees are sited at the borough’s town centres in Stoke Newington, Hackney Wick, Shoreditch and Dalston.