Hackney Empire panto stars bring Christmas sparkle
- Credit: Archant
Pantomime characters, ‘off her trolley’ Molly, clumsy Colin and Jack herself helped the Speaker of Hackney to switch on the lights and start the countdown to Christmas.
Stars of the Hackney Empire’s production of Jack and the Beanstalk, Debbie Kurup, Georgie Oldman and Darren Hart, nipped outside the theatre in Mare Street before Saturday night’s show
to join Cllr Sade Eddi outside the Town Hall.
The Hackney Community Choir warmed-up the crowd with a choice selection of festive carols before the lights on the massive 25 foot high tree, decorated with red and blue baubles, were switched on.
Cllr Etti said: “It
You may also want to watch:
was fantastic to join with Hackney residents and characters from the Empire panto ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ to celebrate the start of the festive season.
“This year’s design for Hackney Central is wonderful, and really adds to the wintery, festive feel of the borough.
- 1 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 4 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
- 8 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 9 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 10 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
“I hope all local people have a fantastic December and enjoy the many events, activities and experiences that Hackney has to offer.”
Four other Christmas trees are sited at the borough’s town centres in Stoke Newington, Hackney Wick, Shoreditch and Dalston.