Hackney Empire panto stars bring Christmas sparkle
- Credit: Archant
Pantomime characters, ‘off her trolley’ Molly, clumsy Colin and Jack herself helped the Speaker of Hackney to switch on the lights and start the countdown to Christmas.
Stars of the Hackney Empire’s production of Jack and the Beanstalk, Debbie Kurup, Georgie Oldman and Darren Hart, nipped outside the theatre in Mare Street before Saturday night’s show
to join Cllr Sade Eddi outside the Town Hall.
The Hackney Community Choir warmed-up the crowd with a choice selection of festive carols before the lights on the massive 25 foot high tree, decorated with red and blue baubles, were switched on.
Cllr Etti said: “It
You may also want to watch:
was fantastic to join with Hackney residents and characters from the Empire panto ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ to celebrate the start of the festive season.
“This year’s design for Hackney Central is wonderful, and really adds to the wintery, festive feel of the borough.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
“I hope all local people have a fantastic December and enjoy the many events, activities and experiences that Hackney has to offer.”
Four other Christmas trees are sited at the borough’s town centres in Stoke Newington, Hackney Wick, Shoreditch and Dalston.