Hackney Empire theatre company Twist launches £30k appeal to put on Macbeth at Edinburgh Fringe
- Credit: Archant
A group of young actors are crowdfunding so they can realise their dream of performing at the world’s biggest arts festival.
Twist, the Hackney Empire’s professional theatre company, have secured a spot to perform their musical adaption of Shakespeare’s Macbeth at the Edinburgh Fringe in August – but face a huge financial stumbling block.
And last week the 17-strong team launched their drive to raise £30,000 with a sneak peek of their play at the Empire.
The cast performed key scenes from the show, which is described as Shakespeare meets hit US TV show Empire and directed by Susie McKenna, and even had passers-by popping in to see what was happening.
Cast member Malika Cholwe said: “To perform at the fringe for us would not only be a dream but would also open up many opportunities that without help may not be possible. We have become a family and through our theatre and performing we have learned to really connect with each other and embrace the art we have been creating with the help of our mentors and directors.
You may also want to watch:
“Twist stands for more than just the acting.
“As young performers, we aim to leave an impact on our audiences and share our talent, and with help we would be able to continue doing what we love and, when we come back to Hackney, be able to share it with everyone.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
The adaption will feature a blend of Twist’s influences including street dancing, R&B, hip-hop, afro-beat, spoken word and jazz.
The £30,000 is need to cover accommodation for three weeks in Edinburgh (£16,000), daily allowances of £20 for each member (£8,000), travel (£2,500), instrument hire and insurance (£2,000) and marketing costs.
Every pledge will be rewarded with a treat from the group, from personalised thank-you videos to free tickets.
And if anyone wants to part with a spare £5,000, they will make a guest appearance at the Empire in next winter’s pantomime performance of Sleeping Beauty.
To view all the pledges, and make one, visit crowdfunder.co.uk/twist-theatre-company-macbeth