Search

Hackney fire commander issues advice following tragic Neasdon blaze

PUBLISHED: 14:20 29 September 2011

The London Fire Brigade’s Borough Commander for Hackney, Graham Howgate, has issued a fire safety warning to local residents after the worst house fire to hit London in over a decade.

A faulty freezer is believed to have caused the fire in a Neasdon home in the early hours of Saturday morning, where five children died.

He urges everyone to check their electrical appliances and to call a repair man if they notice anything strange, and warns people never to overload plug sockets.

He has also highlighted the importance of installing a smoke alarm and checking regularly that it works.

He advises everyone to devise an escape plan should a fire break out in their homes, and in the event of a fire to “get out, stay out.” Call the fire brigade and don’t attempt to tackle the fire yourself.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette