Hackney fire commander issues advice following tragic Neasdon blaze

The London Fire Brigade’s Borough Commander for Hackney, Graham Howgate, has issued a fire safety warning to local residents after the worst house fire to hit London in over a decade.

A faulty freezer is believed to have caused the fire in a Neasdon home in the early hours of Saturday morning, where five children died.

He urges everyone to check their electrical appliances and to call a repair man if they notice anything strange, and warns people never to overload plug sockets.

He has also highlighted the importance of installing a smoke alarm and checking regularly that it works.

He advises everyone to devise an escape plan should a fire break out in their homes, and in the event of a fire to “get out, stay out.” Call the fire brigade and don’t attempt to tackle the fire yourself.