Search

Hackney firefighters to warn of kitchen dangers

PUBLISHED: 17:26 07 September 2010

Charred aftermath of a kitchen fire

Charred aftermath of a kitchen fire

Archant

Hackney firefighters will attend Ridley Road market to warn people of kitchen fire dangers

Hackney fire-fighters will be on hand at the Ridley Road market in Dalston this Friday (September 10) to offer people advice on how to prevent fires in their kitchens.

New figures show that there have been over 810 kitchen fires in the borough in the last five years, causing injuries to over 110 people.

As a result, the fire-fighters will visit the market, in one of their fire engines, to offer free home fire safety visits as part of a London-wide COOKSAFE project and will also be available for photos.

Kitchen fires can be caused by cooking being left unattended, ovens or hobs accidentally being left on and items being left too close to cookers.

Graham Howgate, London Fire Brigade’s borough commander for Hackney said: “Kitchen fires are a real concern for us and the most frustrating thing is that they can usually be prevented.

“Simple mistakes often lead to serious fires.

“Most people think it won’t happen to them but the figures speak for themselves, it can happen.”

Visit london-fire.gov.uk/cooksafe for information.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette