Hackney firefighters to warn of kitchen dangers
Hackney firefighters will attend Ridley Road market to warn people of kitchen fire dangers
Hackney fire-fighters will be on hand at the Ridley Road market in Dalston this Friday (September 10) to offer people advice on how to prevent fires in their kitchens.
New figures show that there have been over 810 kitchen fires in the borough in the last five years, causing injuries to over 110 people.
As a result, the fire-fighters will visit the market, in one of their fire engines, to offer free home fire safety visits as part of a London-wide COOKSAFE project and will also be available for photos.
Kitchen fires can be caused by cooking being left unattended, ovens or hobs accidentally being left on and items being left too close to cookers.
You may also want to watch:
Graham Howgate, London Fire Brigade’s borough commander for Hackney said: “Kitchen fires are a real concern for us and the most frustrating thing is that they can usually be prevented.
“Simple mistakes often lead to serious fires.
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 7 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 8 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 9 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
“Most people think it won’t happen to them but the figures speak for themselves, it can happen.”
Visit london-fire.gov.uk/cooksafe for information.