Hackney Foodbank appeals for donations
- Credit: Hackney Foodbank
Hackney Foodbank is urgently appealing for donations of tinned vegetables, fruit, meat and fish to help local people in need.
Donations can be dropped off at Safestore Somerford Grove in Stoke Newington and the charity will also be accepting contributions at St. John’s Hoxton Church summer fair on Saturday 22 June.
Volunteers from Hackney Foodbank are also urging Tesco shoppers on Morning Lane to add a tin or two to their baskets on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 July.
Safestore Stoke Newington has been helping the local charity since March last year and have donated 200 sq. ft. of storage space to welcome donations from members of the public, local community groups and businesses.
Hackney Foodbank’s manager, Liza Cucco, said demand for the foodbank had rocketed in recent months.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “At Christmas we were well stocked with all the foods that we need to help local families who are struggling but in May alone we went through two months of supplies which has left our cupboards bare.
“We’re urging shoppers to add an extra item to their shopping basket to help local people who are falling on hard times.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 3 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 4 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 5 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 6 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 9 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
“We know that there is a desperate need for this service in Hackney and it will make a real difference to the lives of people who are in crisis.”