Editor’s comment: Chance find in attic inspired our new page
- Credit: Archant
Thirty years ago this week, the Gazette launched its Friday Live entertainment guide – some of you might remember it.
These days, of course, it’s been rebranded to the more straightforward What’s On – after all, we don’t come out on a Friday any more. And while we think we still punch above our weight with eight pages of local reviews and features each week, one thing that’s been lost over the years is our link to the Rio Cinema just down the road. Until now!
A couple of weeks ago, Tim from the cinema discovered a cache of Friday Live cuttings from the late 1980s in the Rio’s attic, featuring the lowdown on what was screening over the weekend.
We all thought it would be a lovely idea to resurrect the old Rio listings page – after all, we love the cinema and were delighted when it hit its crowdfunding target last year. Like many of you, I’m a Rio member, and a Rio mug (best not look in the bottom) is always on my desk. So that’s what we’ve done. If you turn to page 25 of this week’s paper, you’ll see our first attempt at a new look for Friday Live, with a nod to the past. And in the spirit of supporting your local cinema (and newspaper), I’d strongly encourage you to pop down and check out some of what they’ve got on.
• I was pilloried by a former councillor after writing a column in (measured) support of senior coroner Mary Hassell last year.
You may also want to watch:
But I’m delighted to see relations between her office and religious communities have finally improved. And I hope the £80,000 committed by Camden Council towards an improved out-of-hours service will relieve some of the workload issues Ms Hassell’s office say contributed to the sequence of events that ended in the High Court. No more judicial reviews can only be a good thing for Hackney’s grieving families.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 8 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction