Hackney girl raises money and awareness for rare brain condition
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Finsbury Park and her twin sister are taking part in gruelling charity trek around London to raise awareness about a rare neurological condition.
Amelia Wray, 29, of Finsbury Park Road will run the London Trekathon with her twin, Phoebe Grassby, 29, on September 27 to fundraise and spread the word about Cortico Basal Degeneration (CBD).
CBS is a neurological condition that directly affects the brain’s cortex and other parts of the organ.
Symptoms involve jerking or slowness of the fingers, disturbed eye movements and even the loss of use in a hand.
The condition is close to sisters’ hearts as their father, Barry Wray, was diagnosed with CBD in 2012. He has been offered help and advice from the only national charity that supports CBD sufferers, the Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Assocation (PSPA).
You may also want to watch:
Amelia said: “PSPA has been amazing with dad. They help him with access to wheelchairs and let him know what he’s entitled to. This is great help for mum too. It allows mum to keep her job and pay the bills.”
She added: “Dad is helping by being part of a clinical study in to CBD at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge. I thought as he was going through so much there, I should do my bit to understand the condition.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
The walk will take up to nine hours and the sisters have been jogging to try and get fit enough.
Amelia said: “I want to do some other things - pub quizzes and bake sales int the future as well. It is quite a small charity, so the more we can do, the more it will help.”
To help Amelia’s quest for a cure for CBD, donate via Justgiving.co.uk/amelia-wray
You can join the sisters on their adventure and raise money and awareness for PSPA by registering at: discoveradventure.com/challenges/london-trekathon.