Hackney girl stars in Song For Marion with Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney primary school girl will make her film acting debut among the star-studded cast of the new hit Britflick, released this Friday.
Ten year-old Orla Hill was only nine-and-a-quarter when cast as Jennifer in Song For Marion, which features Terence Stamp, Vanessa Redgrave, Gemma Arterton and Christopher Eccleston in the lead roles.
The Year 6 pupil at Millfields Community School in Hilsea Street, Lower Clapton, was cast as the grand daughter of screen legends Stamp and Redgrave.
The pair play a devoted elderly couple - the grumpy Arthur, and the cheerful Marion of the title - in the ‘feel good’ comedy drama.
Director Paul Andrew Williams, whose earlier film London to Brighton won several awards, praised Orla’s contribution to the film: “Casting Orla, with her very large and infectious smile, was one of the coups of the film,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only was she extremely natural and unaffected in front of the camera, she was amazing to have around.”
Orla, who lives in Lower Clapton, developed her acting skills at the Anna Fiorentini Theatre and Film School, which she has attended since she was seven, and whose talent agency represents her.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
Critics have described her performance as “sweet” and “savvy.”
The film goes on general release this Friday.