Hackney girl stars in Song For Marion with Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney primary school girl will make her film acting debut among the star-studded cast of the new hit Britflick, released this Friday.
Ten year-old Orla Hill was only nine-and-a-quarter when cast as Jennifer in Song For Marion, which features Terence Stamp, Vanessa Redgrave, Gemma Arterton and Christopher Eccleston in the lead roles.
The Year 6 pupil at Millfields Community School in Hilsea Street, Lower Clapton, was cast as the grand daughter of screen legends Stamp and Redgrave.
The pair play a devoted elderly couple - the grumpy Arthur, and the cheerful Marion of the title - in the ‘feel good’ comedy drama.
Director Paul Andrew Williams, whose earlier film London to Brighton won several awards, praised Orla’s contribution to the film: “Casting Orla, with her very large and infectious smile, was one of the coups of the film,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only was she extremely natural and unaffected in front of the camera, she was amazing to have around.”
Orla, who lives in Lower Clapton, developed her acting skills at the Anna Fiorentini Theatre and Film School, which she has attended since she was seven, and whose talent agency represents her.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 9 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
Critics have described her performance as “sweet” and “savvy.”
The film goes on general release this Friday.