Hackney girl takes to water in inspirational trip
- Credit: Archant
A young Hackney resident in recovery from cancer has sailed for the first time in an inspirational trip around the Solent strait.
Hannah Lee, 17, who finished treatment for non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in July 2012, joined 25 others as part of the crew of one of five yachts on the voyage with the Ellen MacArthur Trust.
Hannah, of Church Road, said: “I was hoping to meet some cool new people on this trip and gain a valuable new experience
“Steering the boat was amazing and it was good to see everyone involved. Being on board and sharing the same experiences about cancer certainly makes it all more comfortable.”
The four-day trip for youngsters aged between eight and 18 departed from the Isle of Wight on August 26 for a journey navigating the Solent.
You may also want to watch:
Launched in 2003, the aim of the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust is to give young people in recovery from cancer the chance to rebuild their confidence through sailing.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate