Hackney girl takes to water in inspirational trip
- Credit: Archant
A young Hackney resident in recovery from cancer has sailed for the first time in an inspirational trip around the Solent strait.
Hannah Lee, 17, who finished treatment for non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in July 2012, joined 25 others as part of the crew of one of five yachts on the voyage with the Ellen MacArthur Trust.
Hannah, of Church Road, said: “I was hoping to meet some cool new people on this trip and gain a valuable new experience
“Steering the boat was amazing and it was good to see everyone involved. Being on board and sharing the same experiences about cancer certainly makes it all more comfortable.”
The four-day trip for youngsters aged between eight and 18 departed from the Isle of Wight on August 26 for a journey navigating the Solent.
You may also want to watch:
Launched in 2003, the aim of the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust is to give young people in recovery from cancer the chance to rebuild their confidence through sailing.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12