Hackney girl takes to water in inspirational trip
- Credit: Archant
A young Hackney resident in recovery from cancer has sailed for the first time in an inspirational trip around the Solent strait.
Hannah Lee, 17, who finished treatment for non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in July 2012, joined 25 others as part of the crew of one of five yachts on the voyage with the Ellen MacArthur Trust.
Hannah, of Church Road, said: “I was hoping to meet some cool new people on this trip and gain a valuable new experience
“Steering the boat was amazing and it was good to see everyone involved. Being on board and sharing the same experiences about cancer certainly makes it all more comfortable.”
The four-day trip for youngsters aged between eight and 18 departed from the Isle of Wight on August 26 for a journey navigating the Solent.
You may also want to watch:
Launched in 2003, the aim of the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust is to give young people in recovery from cancer the chance to rebuild their confidence through sailing.
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 10 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site