Hackney green spaces among the best in UK
Hackney’s green spaces have been counted among the best in the UK after the borough was awarded its highest number of Green Flags.
Parks in Hackney have been given the prestigious status in recognition of the facilities they offer and how well maintained they are.
There are now 17 Green Flag accredited parks in the borough, the highest number in London, awarded by environment education charity, Keep Britain Tidy, which is also responsible for Blue Flag accredited coastlines.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, Cabinet member for Health, Social Care and Culture, said: “We are absolutely delighted to receive 17 Green Flag Awards from Keep Britain Tidy.
“To gain another two on top of the 15 we successfully maintained is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our Parks team, user groups and volunteers, who strive to make and keep our parks the best they can be.
You may also want to watch:
“Having access to well-managed, quality green space is vital to people’s health and wellbeing, and quality of life, and the Flags highlight that the residents of Hackney are enjoying green space of the very highest order.”
The full list of winning Hackney parks is:
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 3 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 4 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
Albion Square, N1
Aske Gardens, E8
Butterfield Green, N16
Cassland Road Gardens, E9
Clapton Pond, E5
Clapton Square, E5
Clissold Park, N16
De Beauvoir Square, N1
Hackney Downs, E5
Well Street Common, E9
Hackney Marshes, E9
Haggerston Park, E2
Hoxton Square, N1
London Fields, E8
Shoreditch Park, N1
Springfield Park, E5
St John’s Churchyard Gardens, E5