Hackney green spaces among the best in UK
Hackney’s green spaces have been counted among the best in the UK after the borough was awarded its highest number of Green Flags.
Parks in Hackney have been given the prestigious status in recognition of the facilities they offer and how well maintained they are.
There are now 17 Green Flag accredited parks in the borough, the highest number in London, awarded by environment education charity, Keep Britain Tidy, which is also responsible for Blue Flag accredited coastlines.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, Cabinet member for Health, Social Care and Culture, said: “We are absolutely delighted to receive 17 Green Flag Awards from Keep Britain Tidy.
“To gain another two on top of the 15 we successfully maintained is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our Parks team, user groups and volunteers, who strive to make and keep our parks the best they can be.
“Having access to well-managed, quality green space is vital to people’s health and wellbeing, and quality of life, and the Flags highlight that the residents of Hackney are enjoying green space of the very highest order.”
The full list of winning Hackney parks is:
- 1 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 2 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 3 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 4 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 8 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 10 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
Albion Square, N1
Aske Gardens, E8
Butterfield Green, N16
Cassland Road Gardens, E9
Clapton Pond, E5
Clapton Square, E5
Clissold Park, N16
De Beauvoir Square, N1
Hackney Downs, E5
Well Street Common, E9
Hackney Marshes, E9
Haggerston Park, E2
Hoxton Square, N1
London Fields, E8
Shoreditch Park, N1
Springfield Park, E5
St John’s Churchyard Gardens, E5