Hackney green spaces among the best in UK
Hackney’s green spaces have been counted among the best in the UK after the borough was awarded its highest number of Green Flags.
Parks in Hackney have been given the prestigious status in recognition of the facilities they offer and how well maintained they are.
There are now 17 Green Flag accredited parks in the borough, the highest number in London, awarded by environment education charity, Keep Britain Tidy, which is also responsible for Blue Flag accredited coastlines.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, Cabinet member for Health, Social Care and Culture, said: “We are absolutely delighted to receive 17 Green Flag Awards from Keep Britain Tidy.
“To gain another two on top of the 15 we successfully maintained is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our Parks team, user groups and volunteers, who strive to make and keep our parks the best they can be.
You may also want to watch:
“Having access to well-managed, quality green space is vital to people’s health and wellbeing, and quality of life, and the Flags highlight that the residents of Hackney are enjoying green space of the very highest order.”
The full list of winning Hackney parks is:
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
Albion Square, N1
Aske Gardens, E8
Butterfield Green, N16
Cassland Road Gardens, E9
Clapton Pond, E5
Clapton Square, E5
Clissold Park, N16
De Beauvoir Square, N1
Hackney Downs, E5
Well Street Common, E9
Hackney Marshes, E9
Haggerston Park, E2
Hoxton Square, N1
London Fields, E8
Shoreditch Park, N1
Springfield Park, E5
St John’s Churchyard Gardens, E5