Hackney group collects more than a hundred coats for Londoners this winter
- Credit: Oldfield Road
A Stoke Newington group has helped collect 160 donated coats to help people in need keep warm over the Christmas period.
A local group based in Oldfield Road delivered “two-carloads of rammed sacks” to Hands On London for its annual coat collection campaign, Wrap Up London.
Group hosts and mother and daughter, Sally Freestone and Connie Lammiman, told the Gazette: “[The coats] were donated from people on immediate streets and some a bit further afield.”
They thanked online membership club Local Buyers Club for “spreading word” of the campaign on the StokeyParents Facebook group, adding: “We also received donations from some nearby friends in N4 and our chums at the Safedale Pharmacy on Church Street.
They explained: “After quarantine, Hands On London volunteers will distribute our lovely coats to frontline charities supporting those need in need.
You may also want to watch:
“Charities like Shelter, Crisis at Christmas, St Mungo’s and smaller local hostels and refuges across the city.
“Thank you for your generosity and for making a difference this winter. 160 is a remarkable number to have achieved.”
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 5 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 7 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
The group of neighbours living on and near Oldfield Road joined together earlier in the year to support people during the coronavirus pandemic, raising £1,135 back in May for local charities. They also organised a hummingbird mural street art project to honour frontline workers in April and continue to make monthly food collections for Hackney Food Bank.