Hackney hamburgling handbag thief jailed for McDonald’s swoop
Crook caught by cops from DNA on cigarette
A HANDBAG thief who targeted a 76-year-old woman as she ate in McDonald’s has been jailed for two years.
Kevin Joseph, 47, of Chatham Place, Hackney Central, swiped the victim’s handbag as she sat down in the restaurant in Mare Street at 11.30am on November 30 2010.
Joseph, who is known to police as a prolific offender, sat at a table behind the woman who realised a short while later her handbag was gone.
Hackney Police searched the area and found the bag but all the cash, a bank card and bus pass had gone.
You may also want to watch:
Officers traced Joseph using CCTV and DNA from a cigarette he left behind and arrested him on December 16.
He was found guilty of theft at Thames Magistrates Court on January 17 and jailed for two years on Friday January 28.
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
PC Sam Kelland of Hackney’s Case Progression Unit, said: “Tackling serial offenders is a key priority for us. This incident has made the victim wary of going out and so I’m very pleased that Joseph has been imprisoned.
“Property theft can have a devastating impact on the victim, particularly those who are elderly or vulnerable, and this result shows just how seriously we investigate any such incident reported to us.”