Hackney has fewer workers at Olympics sites than fellow host boroughs
Olympics bosses have been blasted after figures have shown that the borough has fewer workers at two sites than the other host boroughs.
Although targets to employ 15 per cent of the overall workforce from the five host boroughs are being surpassed, Hackney has the smallest representation on both sites.
The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) released the figures last week (October 12), which showed that the borough has only 130 construction workers on the Olympic Park site, representing just 2 per cent of the overall 6,241 staff.
That number pales in comparison with fellow host boroughs Newham (484 workers, eight per cent of the overall workforce), Waltham Forest (267, two per cent), Greenwich (215, three per cent) and Tower Hamlets (193, three per cent).
MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, Diane Abbott said the figures were “an insult to my constituents.”
“I am truly shocked that after eight months, we’ve seen just 5 more workers from Hackney employed on the Olympic Park,” she said.
“This is a complete travesty. Opportunities have clearly been missed by the ODA which has failed to take advantage of a local workforce which is ready and willing to work.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 London among areas where drought is declared
- 3 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 4 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 5 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 6 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 7 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 8 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 9 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
- 10 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
“These latest figures are an insult to my constituents, to the homeowners, businesses and taxpayers, who were sold the Games on the promise that we would see a regeneration of the East End.”
It is a similar picture at the Olympic Village where only 64 Hackney workers are on site, also a meagre 2 per cent.