Hackney speaker to host online Holocaust Memorial Day event
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
An event to mark Holocaust Memorial Day will take place in Hackney online this year.
Hackney Council's speaker, Cllr Kam Adams, is hosting a free commemoration ceremony to mark the international event, which takes place to remember the victims of the Holocaust during World War Two, most of whom were Jewish, and other genocides around the world.
The theme of this year's event is Be the Light in the Darkness, and the ceremony will include music, presentations and personal recollections.
Flowers will be laid at the Holocaust Memorial Tree in the Town Hall square.
Cllr Adams said: “Holocaust Memorial Day is a very important day to commemorate and honour all those who were murdered and experienced unimaginable suffering as a result of Nazi persecution.
You may also want to watch:
"It also gives us the opportunity to recognise the atrocities suffered by many as a result of genocides which have happened since the end of the Second World War.
"These were appalling acts that demonstrate the evil which mankind can do but also the need for us all to live in harmony and unite together to counter oppression wherever it arises."
It will take place from 10am-11.15am on January 27 on YouTube. Register at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/hackneys-holocaust-memorial-day-event-be-the-light-in-the-darkness-tickets-133087685851
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
Find out more by emailing email@example.com