Hackney initiative to fund projects which employ freelancers
- Credit: Archant
Hackney creatives hit hard by the coronavirus crisis are set to be employed in local projects.
Organisations in Hackney Wick and Fish Island can apply for £5,000 to fund projects as part of a We Are The Wick initiative.
Successful projects must employ four local creative freelancers or sole traders who have lost work due to the pandemic.
Cllr Guy Nicholson, Hackney’s cabinet member for planning, culture and inclusive economy, said this sector in Hackney is “world-renowned”: “This initial round of funding is relatively low and it will only be able to offer meaningful support to a small number of organisations, despite there being so many more who desperately need help.
“The council has been doing everything it can to support and champion the needs of the creative and cultural sector.”
You may also want to watch:
The area is one of London’s first Creative Enterprise Zones (CEZ).
It is jointly run by Hackney Council, Tower Hamlets Council and the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC).
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
Paul Brickell, executive director of regeneration and community partnerships at LLDC, said support for the development of the CEZ is “now more important than ever”.
Applications for funding are open from July 17 at hwfi.zone/we-are-the-wick