Hackney is most generous London borough – despite being one of the poorest
- Credit: Archant
Hackney is the most charitable borough in London – despite being one of the poorest.
A study by The Childhood Trust and The Big Give of 18,000 donations has found people in Haringey, Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham are the most generous when it comes to donating.
But they are also the four most deprived boroughs in the capital going by child poverty levels.
Hackney topped the generosity chart, with people’s donations working out at more than 3.6 per cent of the average income of the borough, which is £42,690, according to GLA figures.
That is more than double Newham, which was in second place with 1.59pc. Haringey was third with 1.43pc and Tower Hamlets fourth with 1.36pc.
You may also want to watch:
The title of tightest borough in the whole of London goes to Islington, where the amount donated was just 0.33pc of the £54,950 average income.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 10 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus