Hackney JSA figures worst in the UK: Diane Abbott warns they are “staggeringly high”
MP Diane Abbott has warned areas like Hackney could be forgotten about, as the latest figures released show Hackney has the highest number of people claiming Jobseekers Allowance in the country.
Although the government is talking about an economic recovery in London, 26 per cent of Hackney residents are looking for work.
Haringey had the second highest claimant figures, at 18 per cent.
“This is a staggeringly high number, far higher than anywhere else in the country,” said the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington.
“The government keep talking about the country being on the road to recovery but that is not the case in Hackney.
You may also want to watch:
“London is a thriving city, yet jobs for people in Hackney seem very few and far between. “The government needs to understand that in deprived areas such as Hackney there is still a lot that needs to be done to help people find work.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow