Hackney JSA figures worst in the UK: Diane Abbott warns they are “staggeringly high”
MP Diane Abbott has warned areas like Hackney could be forgotten about, as the latest figures released show Hackney has the highest number of people claiming Jobseekers Allowance in the country.
Although the government is talking about an economic recovery in London, 26 per cent of Hackney residents are looking for work.
Haringey had the second highest claimant figures, at 18 per cent.
“This is a staggeringly high number, far higher than anywhere else in the country,” said the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington.
“The government keep talking about the country being on the road to recovery but that is not the case in Hackney.
You may also want to watch:
“London is a thriving city, yet jobs for people in Hackney seem very few and far between. “The government needs to understand that in deprived areas such as Hackney there is still a lot that needs to be done to help people find work.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 7 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72