Hackney JSA figures worst in the UK: Diane Abbott warns they are “staggeringly high”
MP Diane Abbott has warned areas like Hackney could be forgotten about, as the latest figures released show Hackney has the highest number of people claiming Jobseekers Allowance in the country.
Although the government is talking about an economic recovery in London, 26 per cent of Hackney residents are looking for work.
Haringey had the second highest claimant figures, at 18 per cent.
“This is a staggeringly high number, far higher than anywhere else in the country,” said the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington.
“The government keep talking about the country being on the road to recovery but that is not the case in Hackney.
You may also want to watch:
“London is a thriving city, yet jobs for people in Hackney seem very few and far between. “The government needs to understand that in deprived areas such as Hackney there is still a lot that needs to be done to help people find work.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web