Hackney JSA figures worst in the UK: Diane Abbott warns they are “staggeringly high”
MP Diane Abbott has warned areas like Hackney could be forgotten about, as the latest figures released show Hackney has the highest number of people claiming Jobseekers Allowance in the country.
Although the government is talking about an economic recovery in London, 26 per cent of Hackney residents are looking for work.
Haringey had the second highest claimant figures, at 18 per cent.
“This is a staggeringly high number, far higher than anywhere else in the country,” said the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington.
“The government keep talking about the country being on the road to recovery but that is not the case in Hackney.
You may also want to watch:
“London is a thriving city, yet jobs for people in Hackney seem very few and far between. “The government needs to understand that in deprived areas such as Hackney there is still a lot that needs to be done to help people find work.”
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 4 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 5 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 7 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack