Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- Credit: Google
Twenty-five firefighters were called to a fire at a block of flats on Kay Street, Hackney, which destroyed an internal bin storage room on the ground floor.
London Fire Brigade sent four engines to the scene on Saturday (June 12) night and found heavy smoke logging from the ground to the second floor.
A man and a woman were treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews after suffering from smoke inhalation.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire is believed to have been caused by a disposable barbecue that hadn’t been cooled properly before being thrown down a rubbish chute.
“Disposable barbecues that have been discarded can cause fires as hot coals smoulder for some time after the flames die down, so it’s really important that they’re cooled properly before being thrown away.”
You may also want to watch:
The service was called shortly before midnight and were able to leave before 1am.
Fire crews from Bethnal Green, Whitechapel, Shadwell and Homerton fire stations attended the scene.
- 1 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 9 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted