Hackney lawyer picks up Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year award
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney lawyer has proved his metal by picking up the 2013 Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Award for his “outstanding” work as an immigration lawyer.
Hilton von Herbert, who works as a senior immigration caseworker at Hackney legal charity Hackney Community Law Centre on Lower Clapton Road, Clapton scooped the award at The Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Awards (LALYs) which were held at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre on July 2.
The awards are held to recognise the invaluable contribution that legal aid practitioners make to social justice and the rule of law.
Mr Von Herbert, who has ten years of experience in the field of immigration, asylum and nationality law, was presented with his award by John Howard, former BBC Radio 4 presenter and Lord Justice Andrew McFarlane QC.
The university of London law graduate joined Hackney Community Law Centre in April 2009.
You may also want to watch:
He has been involved in some high profile parliamentary lobbying which has brought about significant changes in UK immigration law.
He said: “I am really delighted to have won this award. It is a significant recognition of hard work and dedication to my work. It will inspire me to continue to fight for the vulnerable and I hope that the award will also serve as an inspiration to the younger generation of lawyers – especially those who wish to forge a career in the not for profit sector.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12