Hackney man finds focus for London Triathlon after death of his mum
A man will take part in the London Triathalon this Sunday, in memory of his lost mother.
Olly Davy, 29, has found training for the running, swimming and cycling event a “fantastic coping mechanism” to help him deal with the grief of losing his mum Lesley to lung cancer.
“I was motivated to sign up for the London Triathlon before mum died, as a way to transmute some of the sadness into something positive and raise money for a fantastic cause,” said Olly, a fundraiser for the British Red Cross who lives in Tyssen Street.
“Her death has strengthened my resolve and given me focus like I have never known.
“I wouldn’t recommend loss as a desirable accompaniment to achieving your dreams, and there are many stages of emotion that different people experience at different times, but I am determined to give this triathlon the best of me and to make mum proud,” he added.
You may also want to watch:
Olly has been writing a blog about his experience, at http://ollydavytriathlon.blogspot.co.uk/
To sponsor Olly go to: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/ollydavy
- 1 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 2 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 3 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 4 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Mural competition launched for Homerton green corridor
- 7 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site
- 8 No queues or check outs at Dalston's new Amazon Fresh store
- 9 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 10 Cargo bike sharing comes to Stoke Newington, London Fields and Shoreditch