Hackney man James McMullan confirmed as one of the eight killed in London Bridge terrorist attack
PUBLISHED: 18:39 08 June 2017 | UPDATED: 20:31 08 June 2017
Hackney man James McMullan has been formally identified as one of the eight people killed during Saturday night’s terrorist attack at London Bridge.
James, 32, from Hackney, was last seen smoking outside the Barrowboy And Banker pub before the three knifemen ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge and went on to stab people in Borough Market.
It comes after his sister Melissa on Monday said police had told her his bank card had been found on a body at the scene of the attack.
But she was told her family could not formally identify him until the Coroner released a report.
Scotland Yard have now confirmed his identity, and his family are being supported by specially trained family liaison officers.
In a statement James’ family said: “It is with the deepest regret and sadness that we have today been informed that our son and brother has been declared a victim of the terrorist attack on Saturday night.
“We would like to send our condolences to the relatives and loved ones of all the others who lost their lives, as our thoughts are with them at this time.
“We would like to thank all the members of the services who did their utmost to “serve and protect” the population of London from these deranged and deluded individuals.
“While our pain will never diminish it is important for all of us to carry on with our lives in direct opposition to those who would try to destroy us, and remember that hatred is the refuge of small minded individuals and will only breed more. This is not a course we will follow, despite our loss.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.