Hackney MP Meg Hillier out in Labour shadow cabinet reshuffle
The Hackney MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch will be replaced as shadow energy and climate change secretary by Caroline Flint.
Ms Hillier is among a number of MPs to lose out in Mr Milliband’s rethink.
She told the Gazette that she would now be able to devote more time to issues in Hackney, such as the recovery after the riots.
She also welcomed the freedom to speak on the backbench.
“I’ve got a lot to say and stand up for in Hackney, especially with what the current government is doing,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Ex-minister Stephen Twigg has been brought in to take on Michael Gove at education, allowing Andy Burnham to resume the health brief he held in the last government.
Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP Diane Abbott keeps her public health portfolio.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
Mr Miliband said: “My decision to appoint half a dozen members of the 2010 intake shows the talent that Labour has and the way in which this new generation can join us in taking Labour’s agenda forward.
“Together we will show how the Government are failing to help families who face a cost of living crisis, how they are failing to take action on energy bills and rail fares and failing to get the economy moving again.
“They will show how we aspire to be a government not for more of the same but to deliver a new bargain for the British people.”