Hackney MP Meg Hillier out in Labour shadow cabinet reshuffle
The Hackney MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch will be replaced as shadow energy and climate change secretary by Caroline Flint.
Ms Hillier is among a number of MPs to lose out in Mr Milliband’s rethink.
She told the Gazette that she would now be able to devote more time to issues in Hackney, such as the recovery after the riots.
She also welcomed the freedom to speak on the backbench.
“I’ve got a lot to say and stand up for in Hackney, especially with what the current government is doing,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Ex-minister Stephen Twigg has been brought in to take on Michael Gove at education, allowing Andy Burnham to resume the health brief he held in the last government.
Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP Diane Abbott keeps her public health portfolio.
- 1 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 The "milkmen for beer" now deliver in Hackney
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Met Office yellow warning for rain in London this weekend
- 6 LTNs reveal 'tale of two Hackneys', says campaigner
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 9 Cinema and live music at All Points East's neighbourhood festival
- 10 'Council's cabinet agreed to reduce housing waiting list'
Mr Miliband said: “My decision to appoint half a dozen members of the 2010 intake shows the talent that Labour has and the way in which this new generation can join us in taking Labour’s agenda forward.
“Together we will show how the Government are failing to help families who face a cost of living crisis, how they are failing to take action on energy bills and rail fares and failing to get the economy moving again.
“They will show how we aspire to be a government not for more of the same but to deliver a new bargain for the British people.”