Hackney Pirates: ‘Unsinkable’ Dalston charity shop reopens after car crashes into front window
- Credit: Archant
The “unsinkable” Hackney Pirates charity reopens its Dalston shop today after a car crashed through the front window on Sunday afternoon.
The children’s charity in Kingsland High Street had to close at the beginning of the week because of the damage the collision caused to the handmade “Ship of Adventures” display inside.
A children’s party was taking place at the time but fortunately no one was hurt.
The shop is holding a festive four-hour drop-in on Saturday for people to show their support. From 12.30pm people will be able to do their Christmas shopping, hear music from volunteers and experience some “good old community spirit”.
The charity’s director Catriona Maclay said “It’s a chance to support us by coming and hanging out and donating if they can.” Catriona said re-opening the shop today was quite a feat: “It’s been possible due to incredible help from a volunteer builder, along with many others.”
You may also want to watch:
Another volunteer is designing artwork for the board covering the window broken.
The reopening is only temporary as the shop will need to close again after Christmas while its front is replaced.
- 1 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 2 Fatal Gillett Square shooting shines spotlight on crime hotspot
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Two arrests in Dalston fatal shooting investigation
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Pub managers in Hackney tell how life is since lockdown eased
- 6 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Hackney's Miss London makes it to Miss England final
- 8 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 9 Dalston shooting victim named by police
- 10 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
Catriona added: “We’ve had tonnes of emails from people asking how they can help to get us back up and running.
“The council has been great in telling us what needs to be done to be safe.”
A man was arrested and bailed on suspicion of dangerous driving following the collision, which happened at about 12.20pm.
Visit hackneypirates.org/unsinkable for ways to help the shop out – including donating to help with the damage and volunteering.