Hackney Pirates: ‘Unsinkable’ Dalston charity shop reopens after car crashes into front window
- Credit: Archant
The “unsinkable” Hackney Pirates charity reopens its Dalston shop today after a car crashed through the front window on Sunday afternoon.
The children’s charity in Kingsland High Street had to close at the beginning of the week because of the damage the collision caused to the handmade “Ship of Adventures” display inside.
A children’s party was taking place at the time but fortunately no one was hurt.
The shop is holding a festive four-hour drop-in on Saturday for people to show their support. From 12.30pm people will be able to do their Christmas shopping, hear music from volunteers and experience some “good old community spirit”.
The charity’s director Catriona Maclay said “It’s a chance to support us by coming and hanging out and donating if they can.” Catriona said re-opening the shop today was quite a feat: “It’s been possible due to incredible help from a volunteer builder, along with many others.”
Another volunteer is designing artwork for the board covering the window broken.
The reopening is only temporary as the shop will need to close again after Christmas while its front is replaced.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 3 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 4 'The 214 to Provence: Where catching a London bus can take you'
- 5 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 6 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 7 Polio: Symptoms, vaccines and what you need to know
- 8 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 9 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
Catriona added: “We’ve had tonnes of emails from people asking how they can help to get us back up and running.
“The council has been great in telling us what needs to be done to be safe.”
A man was arrested and bailed on suspicion of dangerous driving following the collision, which happened at about 12.20pm.
Visit hackneypirates.org/unsinkable for ways to help the shop out – including donating to help with the damage and volunteering.