Hackney Pirates: ‘Unsinkable’ Dalston charity shop reopens after car crashes into front window
- Credit: Archant
The “unsinkable” Hackney Pirates charity reopens its Dalston shop today after a car crashed through the front window on Sunday afternoon.
The children’s charity in Kingsland High Street had to close at the beginning of the week because of the damage the collision caused to the handmade “Ship of Adventures” display inside.
A children’s party was taking place at the time but fortunately no one was hurt.
The shop is holding a festive four-hour drop-in on Saturday for people to show their support. From 12.30pm people will be able to do their Christmas shopping, hear music from volunteers and experience some “good old community spirit”.
The charity’s director Catriona Maclay said “It’s a chance to support us by coming and hanging out and donating if they can.” Catriona said re-opening the shop today was quite a feat: “It’s been possible due to incredible help from a volunteer builder, along with many others.”
You may also want to watch:
Another volunteer is designing artwork for the board covering the window broken.
The reopening is only temporary as the shop will need to close again after Christmas while its front is replaced.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 8 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
Catriona added: “We’ve had tonnes of emails from people asking how they can help to get us back up and running.
“The council has been great in telling us what needs to be done to be safe.”
A man was arrested and bailed on suspicion of dangerous driving following the collision, which happened at about 12.20pm.
Visit hackneypirates.org/unsinkable for ways to help the shop out – including donating to help with the damage and volunteering.