Hackney politician to chair London Assembly
Politician Jennette Arnold is the new chairwoman of the London Assembly.
It’s the second time in its 11 year history that former nurse Ms Arnold has headed the city-wide assembly.
Today’s election was close with 13 assembly members in favour and 12 against.
Ms Arnold represents North East London, including Hackney, Islington and Waltham Forest.
The Labour politician said: “I am honoured to be serving a second term as Chair of the London Assembly and by the confidence my colleagues have shown in me.
You may also want to watch:
“I know that the next twelve months will be marked by strong political debate as we approach the 2012 GLA elections. As Chair of the Assembly I want to ensure that debate takes places with the passion it deserves but with the respect and civility we all have a right to expect from each other.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12