Hackney politician to chair London Assembly
Politician Jennette Arnold is the new chairwoman of the London Assembly.
It’s the second time in its 11 year history that former nurse Ms Arnold has headed the city-wide assembly.
Today’s election was close with 13 assembly members in favour and 12 against.
Ms Arnold represents North East London, including Hackney, Islington and Waltham Forest.
The Labour politician said: “I am honoured to be serving a second term as Chair of the London Assembly and by the confidence my colleagues have shown in me.
You may also want to watch:
“I know that the next twelve months will be marked by strong political debate as we approach the 2012 GLA elections. As Chair of the Assembly I want to ensure that debate takes places with the passion it deserves but with the respect and civility we all have a right to expect from each other.”
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week