Hackney prepares to celebrate the jubilee in style
Hackney residents, who have been busy planning their right royal knees-ups, are getting ready to party today (Saturday) with a host of street parties taking place around the borough to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Instead of cars, trestle tables laden with lavish high teas will be lining dozens of the streets - with more than 30 road closures approved by Hackney Council over the four-day holiday weekend, to mark 60 years of the Queen’s reign.
Dalston residents seem particularly keen to party with a bash this afternoon in Dalston Lane and another street party set to place in Kingsland High Street, at the junction with Boleyn Road.
An alternative “flotilla” made up of dinghies, lilos, and canoes will make its less-than-stately progress along the Regent’s Canal, by following a lead boat complete with a giant papier-m�ch� Queen’s head.
The watery party, which is being run by events organiser Animal Control supported by summer dance music festival Glade, is called the Jubillegal.
You may also want to watch:
Participants are planning to meet at 12noon in Shoreditch Park, before launching their vessels into the canal at Union Wharf bound for Broadway Market.
A number of other parties are due to take place tomorrow, such as Stoke Newington Church Street’s bash, while others, including Shoreditch High Street near Curtain Road, will be celebrating the jubilee on Monday.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
The final events are expected to take place on Tuesday, such as the jubilee fun day due to be held at the Tower Gardens Estate.
Are you attending a jubilee party? Become part of our reporting team by uploading your news and photos to our picture-sharing website www.iwitness24.co.uk, or contact us directly with your stories and pictures by emailing email@example.com.