Hackney prepares to celebrate the jubilee in style
Hackney residents, who have been busy planning their right royal knees-ups, are getting ready to party today (Saturday) with a host of street parties taking place around the borough to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Instead of cars, trestle tables laden with lavish high teas will be lining dozens of the streets - with more than 30 road closures approved by Hackney Council over the four-day holiday weekend, to mark 60 years of the Queen’s reign.
Dalston residents seem particularly keen to party with a bash this afternoon in Dalston Lane and another street party set to place in Kingsland High Street, at the junction with Boleyn Road.
An alternative “flotilla” made up of dinghies, lilos, and canoes will make its less-than-stately progress along the Regent’s Canal, by following a lead boat complete with a giant papier-m�ch� Queen’s head.
The watery party, which is being run by events organiser Animal Control supported by summer dance music festival Glade, is called the Jubillegal.
Participants are planning to meet at 12noon in Shoreditch Park, before launching their vessels into the canal at Union Wharf bound for Broadway Market.
A number of other parties are due to take place tomorrow, such as Stoke Newington Church Street’s bash, while others, including Shoreditch High Street near Curtain Road, will be celebrating the jubilee on Monday.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 3 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 4 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 5 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 6 London among areas where drought is declared
- 7 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 8 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 9 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 10 Housing plan for De Beauvoir estate approved – despite environmental concerns
The final events are expected to take place on Tuesday, such as the jubilee fun day due to be held at the Tower Gardens Estate.
Are you attending a jubilee party? Become part of our reporting team by uploading your news and photos to our picture-sharing website www.iwitness24.co.uk, or contact us directly with your stories and pictures by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.