Hackney pub is UK’s most “beard-friendly”
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney alehouse has been bestowed the unusual honour of Britain’s most beard-friendly pub.
Bristled boozers from The Beard Liberation Front recognised the Cock Tavern in Mare Street for welcoming customers sporting a wide range of facial hair fashions.
The society campaigns “in support of beards” and “against discrimination of those who wear them”.
Manager of the Cock Tavern, Tim O’Rourke, said the award was a “bit of a novelty”.
“There are a whole bunch of hipsters in the area so pretty much everyone has beards,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s also a British Beard Club who have meetings here - they are old men with beards who stand around talking about beer and beards, they are really nice guys. Meetings just mean going to the pub and hanging out.”
The Cock Tavern specialises in selling beer from a range of micro-breweries, and brews its own beer, Howling Hops, on the premises, which makes it a prime target for “tickers” - who also tend to have beards.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
“They drink hundreds of different types of beer a year and they tick it off a list, the tickers can usually get a tick if they come here,” said Mr O’Rourke.
No trophy was awarded but he is planning on making one himself which he will pass onto next year’s winners.
Manchester’s Port Street Beer House was named the most beard friendly pub of the year “Out of London” and other pubs to make the shortlist included the Evening Star in Brighton and the Urban Tap House in Cardiff.