Hackney Quest teenagers teach tag rugby in Zambia
A group of young people have been awarded for their sustainable sports project in Zambia, where they taught orphans and HIV positive youngsters how to play tag rugby.
Seven 17-19 year olds spent 18 months preparing for the trip to the south African country by fundraising and completing tag rugby coaching, first aid and youth work qualifications, as well as achieving community sports leader awards, surfing and public speaking.
The culmination was a two week tag rugby development programme in urban and rural Zambia, where they ran two tournaments and taught over 1,000 children the game - which sees attacking players pulling a velcro
tag from the ball carrier rather than full-on contact tackles.
The group from the Hackney Empowering Active Team (HEAT) also gave rugby equipment to schools and taught teachers and volunteers how to be coaches to ensure the programme will continue once they left.
You may also want to watch:
Youth project manager Keeley Williams from Hackney Quest, the children’s charity in Poole Road which runs the programme, said: “The idea is for them to get paid work as coaches. They were working with a lot of children who have HIV or who are orphans and they did not allow any of those things to be a barrier, their aim was just to make them smile and be happy.”
The youth-led programme has been awarded a 2012 Young Partners Award by the National Council for Voluntary Youth Services (NCVYS) recognising youth leadership and what young people can achieve through working in equal partnership with adults in organisations and projects.
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 3 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 4 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 5 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 6 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 7 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?