Hackney residents asked to comment on revised ward boundary proposals
People in Hackney are being given an extra chance to comment on revised proposals to change ward boundaries in the borough.
The independent Local Government Boundary Commission for England held a public consultation on proposals for new ward boundaries last summer.
The idea is to ensure each councillor represents a similar number of voters so the value of everyone’s vote is the same in local elections regardless of where they live.
Following suggestions in the consultation, the Commission is now proposing to make three substantial changes to the plans put forward last year, and has re-opened consultation.
Dr Colin Sinclair, lead Commissioner for the review of Hackney, said: “There were some strong arguments made to us by local people that these alternative wards better reflected local community interests and identities as well as delivering electoral equality for voters.”
You may also want to watch:
In Hoxton and Shoreditch the Commission is now proposing two three-member wards called Hoxton East and Shoreditch alongside a Hoxton West ward, instead of the three two-member wards originally proposed.
In central Hackney several changes have been made to the original proposals for the boundaries between the proposed Dalston, Hackney Central and Shacklewell wards.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 "Horrific" extent of River Lea plastic pollution at Hackney Marshes
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
Meanwhile in the north east of the borough the Commission is replacing an original recommendation for a three-member Stamford Hill East ward and a three-member Upper Clapton ward with recommendations to include a three-member Cazenove ward bordered by a three-member Springfield ward.
More information on the review and maps of the proposals cam be seen at www.lgbce.org.uk or http://www.lgbce.org.uk/all-reviews/south-east/greater-london/hackney-fer.
Consultation ends on February 19 and final recommendations will be published in April.