Hackney Rugby Club in battle to stop star player being deported to Nigeria
HACKNEY Rugby Club has rallied around its star player, raising hundreds of pounds for a solicitor after he was threatened with deportation.
Within just 48 hours of finding out Uzo Uyanwine, originally from Nigeria, had been detained by the Home Office, the club had raised a staggering �1,600 to fight his legal battle.
In an incredible display of community spirit, club members also sent more than 50 letters to local MPs urging them to join their campaign to keep the popular and talented rugby player in London.
Market researcher Uzo, 27, from Leyton, has lived in the UK for the past eight years after initially coming over on a student visa. Since then he has had an ongoing case with the Home Office and earlier this month was placed in detention at Gatwick Airport with a flight booked back to Nigeria.
The former London Metropolitan University student was in detention for ten days before a solicitor was able to appeal the decision and stop him being forced on to a plane to Africa.
You may also want to watch:
But 1st team captain Charlie Davis warned: “There’s still a battle ahead.
“It would be a travesty of justice if he was deported.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
He added: “The response from the club has been amazing.
“Uzo’s a very popular guy. He’s a lovely bloke, a good player and extremely loyal.”
Dedicated Uzo was quick to return the favour, playing with the Hackney 2nd Gargoyles the Saturday after being released from detention and scoring two tries. He now has ten tries under his belt this year, the highest number at the club.