Hackney’s Christmas lights switched on launching festive season
- Credit: Archant
Christmas lights at the Town Hall were switched on at the weekend, as the council promised to ‘Make Hackney Sparkle’.
Speaker Cllr Sharon Patrick was joined by Capital XTRA Breakfast Radio presenters Kojo and Jade to flick the switch, marking the start of a run of free festive events and seasonal entertainment throughout December.
The Hackney Community Choir brought some festive cheer to the event with traditional carol singing and cyclists were invited to decorate themselves and their bikes for the Cycling Sparkle competition, with prizes including a new bike and safety gear.
To reflect the borough’s reputation in the fashion world five Christmas trees across the borough have been decorated by a team of four top fashion designers - James Long, Lou Dalton, Craig Green and Princess Julia.
For anyone who has yet to start their Christmas shopping, festive shopping events are planned throughout December at Hackney’s markets and across its town centres, and shoppers are being treated to free parking on streets near Hoxton and Ridley Road markets on key shopping dates.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be street food and craft pop up markets, carol concerts and a Santa’s grotto.
Around £130,000 has been donated by businesses for the seasonal events, including Derwent London, LPC Living, The Montcalm, Hackney Fashion Hub, Here East, Berkeley, Rocket Investments and XL Video, while creative businesses Accept & Proceed, The Relative and Elevenfiftyfive donated time and expertise.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
For a full itinerary see www.hackneycouncil.gov.uk.