Hackney’s Rising Star accounts for her passion
- Credit: Archant
She has studied in Australia, snow-boarded in Canada, and waitressed in Berlin.
And now Jessamyn Keogh, who moved to Hackney four years ago, has been recognised for her work managing budgets on hit TV series from Downton Abbey to Taboo.
“It was a nice surprise,” said Jess modestly, of the prestigious Production Guild’s Rising Star Award she picked up last month.
“It was good for an accountant to win an award as opposed to an actor, for once.”
Brisbane-bred Jess spent much of her youth on the stage, but a gift for maths led to her trying to combine her love of the creative industry with her business acumen.
You may also want to watch:
Within just a few years in the industry, Jess has worked on a range of series, including E4’s Misfits, ITV’s Downton Abbey and Miss You Already, a film starring Drew Barrymore.
“I love seeing a project going from something to nothing,” says the Mare Street resident, who turned 30 this year.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
“It’s not anywhere near as glamorous as you think. You have to work hard, often 12 hour days, but everyone I work with is really lovely.”
And what about Hackney itself? “I love it. It’s a very interesting borough, which has changed a lot in the time I’ve been there.”
To find out more about the Production Guild, go to productionguild.com