Hackney’s Rising Star accounts for her passion
- Credit: Archant
She has studied in Australia, snow-boarded in Canada, and waitressed in Berlin.
And now Jessamyn Keogh, who moved to Hackney four years ago, has been recognised for her work managing budgets on hit TV series from Downton Abbey to Taboo.
“It was a nice surprise,” said Jess modestly, of the prestigious Production Guild’s Rising Star Award she picked up last month.
“It was good for an accountant to win an award as opposed to an actor, for once.”
Brisbane-bred Jess spent much of her youth on the stage, but a gift for maths led to her trying to combine her love of the creative industry with her business acumen.
Within just a few years in the industry, Jess has worked on a range of series, including E4’s Misfits, ITV’s Downton Abbey and Miss You Already, a film starring Drew Barrymore.
“I love seeing a project going from something to nothing,” says the Mare Street resident, who turned 30 this year.
- 1 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 2 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 3 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 4 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 5 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 6 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 7 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 8 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 9 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 10 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
“It’s not anywhere near as glamorous as you think. You have to work hard, often 12 hour days, but everyone I work with is really lovely.”
And what about Hackney itself? “I love it. It’s a very interesting borough, which has changed a lot in the time I’ve been there.”
To find out more about the Production Guild, go to productionguild.com