Hackney’s singing politician, Jermain Jackman, is through to The Voice live quarterfinal
- Credit: BBC/Wall to Wall
Jermain Jackman – the “singing politician” – has made it through to the live rounds on the BBC’s singing contest The Voice.
The 19-year-old from Hackney picked up the nickname from judge Sir Tom Jones on his first appearance after he was singled out by judge Will.i.am, who is now his mentor and coach.
On Sunday, the former Islington Arts and Media School (IAMS) pupil sang A House is Not A Home, a song originally recorded by Dionne Warwick, and written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the 1964 film of the same name.
Will.i.am, who met Jermain at the 2012 Hackney Weekend when he told him to apply for the series after his performance with fellow Hackney singer Leona Lewis, confided the song was his mum’s favourite.
The Black Eyed Peas producer had to pick three of his seven team members to go through to the next round, and singled out Jermain, along with Aisha and Sophie.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Jermain is this old soul, he has a heart of gold.
“He’s well mannered, humble, but his humbleness could hold him back, he’s just gotta slice.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 6 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
Following his performance, legendary crooner Tom Jones remarked: “Jermain stood out for me, he has this tremendous range.”
There are 12 contestants now left now in the live quarter final this Saturday night.