Hackney’s singing politician, Jermain Jackman, is through to The Voice live quarterfinal
- Credit: BBC/Wall to Wall
Jermain Jackman – the “singing politician” – has made it through to the live rounds on the BBC’s singing contest The Voice.
The 19-year-old from Hackney picked up the nickname from judge Sir Tom Jones on his first appearance after he was singled out by judge Will.i.am, who is now his mentor and coach.
On Sunday, the former Islington Arts and Media School (IAMS) pupil sang A House is Not A Home, a song originally recorded by Dionne Warwick, and written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the 1964 film of the same name.
Will.i.am, who met Jermain at the 2012 Hackney Weekend when he told him to apply for the series after his performance with fellow Hackney singer Leona Lewis, confided the song was his mum’s favourite.
The Black Eyed Peas producer had to pick three of his seven team members to go through to the next round, and singled out Jermain, along with Aisha and Sophie.
He said: “Jermain is this old soul, he has a heart of gold.
“He’s well mannered, humble, but his humbleness could hold him back, he’s just gotta slice.”
- 1 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 2 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 3 'Major victory': Ridley Road Shopping Village's future secured
- 4 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 5 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 6 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 7 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 8 Upper Clapton college celebrates recovery after glowing Ofsted report
- 9 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 10 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
Following his performance, legendary crooner Tom Jones remarked: “Jermain stood out for me, he has this tremendous range.”
There are 12 contestants now left now in the live quarter final this Saturday night.