Hackney’s singing politician, Jermain Jackman, is through to The Voice live quarterfinal
- Credit: BBC/Wall to Wall
Jermain Jackman – the “singing politician” – has made it through to the live rounds on the BBC’s singing contest The Voice.
The 19-year-old from Hackney picked up the nickname from judge Sir Tom Jones on his first appearance after he was singled out by judge Will.i.am, who is now his mentor and coach.
On Sunday, the former Islington Arts and Media School (IAMS) pupil sang A House is Not A Home, a song originally recorded by Dionne Warwick, and written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the 1964 film of the same name.
Will.i.am, who met Jermain at the 2012 Hackney Weekend when he told him to apply for the series after his performance with fellow Hackney singer Leona Lewis, confided the song was his mum’s favourite.
The Black Eyed Peas producer had to pick three of his seven team members to go through to the next round, and singled out Jermain, along with Aisha and Sophie.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Jermain is this old soul, he has a heart of gold.
“He’s well mannered, humble, but his humbleness could hold him back, he’s just gotta slice.”
- 1 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 2 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 3 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 6 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
Following his performance, legendary crooner Tom Jones remarked: “Jermain stood out for me, he has this tremendous range.”
There are 12 contestants now left now in the live quarter final this Saturday night.