Hackney’s St Joseph’s Hospice choir has its sights set on Christmas Number One
- Credit: Archant
A 94-year-old great great grandmother has been given a “new lease of life” through singing with a choir which is hoping to make this year’s Christmas Number One spot with their rendition of The Living Years to raise money for London hospices.
Lillian John spends time at St Joseph’s Hospice respite ward in Mare Street because of her cancer diagnosis, and is part of its choir along with 19 other patients, nurses, physios, admin staff and volunteers.
They have teamed up with 18 other London hospices in the ensemble lead by Paul Carrack, who was the lead vocalist on the original 1991 hit.
Lillian said: “St Joseph’s Hospice has been like a family to me, and now I feel like I am part of a huge extended family with 300 people all wanting to give something back to these wonderful places.”
All profits from the sale of the single will be divided between the hospices involved, helping them to support those reaching the end of their lives, and their families.
You may also want to watch:
‘The Living Years’ by The London Hospices Choir and Paul Carrack will be released on December 16, and is available to pre-order on iTunes and Amazon.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing