Hackney’s St Joseph’s Hospice choir has its sights set on Christmas Number One
- Credit: Archant
A 94-year-old great great grandmother has been given a “new lease of life” through singing with a choir which is hoping to make this year’s Christmas Number One spot with their rendition of The Living Years to raise money for London hospices.
Lillian John spends time at St Joseph’s Hospice respite ward in Mare Street because of her cancer diagnosis, and is part of its choir along with 19 other patients, nurses, physios, admin staff and volunteers.
They have teamed up with 18 other London hospices in the ensemble lead by Paul Carrack, who was the lead vocalist on the original 1991 hit.
Lillian said: “St Joseph’s Hospice has been like a family to me, and now I feel like I am part of a huge extended family with 300 people all wanting to give something back to these wonderful places.”
All profits from the sale of the single will be divided between the hospices involved, helping them to support those reaching the end of their lives, and their families.
You may also want to watch:
‘The Living Years’ by The London Hospices Choir and Paul Carrack will be released on December 16, and is available to pre-order on iTunes and Amazon.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service