Hackney schools are statistically London’s safest for basic health and safety
While over £1,609,000 has been paid in compensation over the past five years in London because of children being seriously injured at school, the least compensation was paid out by schools in Hackney.
The figures obtained by health and safety experts Employment Law Advisory Service (ELAS) through a Freedom of Information request show 1,010 personal injuries claims were lodged in the capital because of “basic health and safety failings” in schools since September 2008.
Of London’s 33 boroughs, Enfield is statistically the least safe, with 18 claims costing its schools over £144,000.
Bromley was the only region to record no successful claims during the five-year period, followed by Hackney which fared relatively well with only three successful claims out of a total of 27.
The cases included laceration by a gate which saw a payout of £1,500, a child trapped in a gate where damages totalled £2,000 and a fall from play equipment which cost one school £5,000.
You may also want to watch:
ELAS’ lead health and safety consultant, Wayne Dunning, said: “Health and safety is not being managed properly in the education sector and this is costing taxpayers millions, not only in direct compensation, but also additional hidden costs from administration.”
Only Croydon Council failed to provide any information.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting