Hackney Sea Cadets in national advertising campaign
Kamil Boriel is face of the Sea Cadet lifestyle
HACKNEY Sea Cadets have become the faces of a new campaign to promote the organisation nationally.
And one 15-year-old, Kamil Boriel’s, sunny smile was picked to appear on a poster by himself.
The Clapton and Hackney Sea Cadets, based at TS Bulwark in Spring Lane, Clapton, were chosen to represent the service on posters after the group won an internal award for most improved group last year.
The unit was near closure until Commanding Petty Officer, Anthony Weston increased the numbers from four to 34 youngsters in just 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
So it was even more of a surprise to see the large poster advertisements when they marched with the Sea Cadet float in this year’s Lord Mayor’s Show at the weekend.
CPO Weston said nobody at the unit knew their images would be chosen.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 3 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 4 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 10 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
He said: “I feel that the unit’s gone from strength to strength.
“They came and took our photographs and then picked the best shots; we only saw them on Saturday.
“Kamil was very surprised; his face lit up. He has a lovely smile and goes round with a big grin on his face every five minutes. He’s a lovely kid.”
Kamil has dreamed of becoming a cruise ship captain since he was six years old and saw joining the sea cadets two years ago as the first step towards his goal.
“It was such a shock to see myself on the poster, I was really amazed and I was really proud and wanted to show the sea cadets off at the Royal Mayor’s Show.
“My teacher told me about the Sea Cadets and so I went to investigate. I absolutely loved it, it was like I was just meant to be there.”
The unit meets every Tuesday and Friday between 7pm and 9.30pm.
For more information call 020 88061447.