Speaker of Hackney hosts musical memorial concert for coronavirus victims
- Credit: Kam Adams
An online concert to remember those who have lost their lives in the Covid-19 pandemic is being hosted by the Speaker of Hackney tomorrow night.
Drummer Abass Dodoo will be performing at the hour-long Zoom event, which will also mark the tragic murder of George Floyd, an African American man who was killed by police during an arrest in Minnesota, sparking global Black Lives Matter protests globally.
The Speaker of Hackney, Kam Adams, told the Gazette: “First of all, for the coronavirus victims, it’s very moving that in Hackney we have lost a lot of people. We were the third worst hit borough in London after Newham and Brent.
“We see them as more than statistics. They are people with loved ones, and most of them were unable to pay their respects at a burial ceremony.
“The reason we are connecting it with the Black Lives Matter movement, is that many of the people who died of coronavirus are BAME, and most of them were disproportionately affected. They reckon that is because of the social inequality.”
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Hackney, Philip Glanville, and winner of the BBC talent show The Voice, Jermain Jackman, will also speak at the event which starts at 6pm tomorrow.
Because the town hall is closed due to the pandemic, everyone will log in from their homes.
Access the event on Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88094112518.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 5 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 8 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 9 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors