Hackney street party ready to go - now where are revellers?
Everything is in place for a Hoxton street party – but now the organisers are excitedly anticipating the arrival of people wanting to celebrate the Royal Wedding.
Manager of the George and Vulture pub in Haberdasher Street, Chris O’Hagan has been working since 7am, hanging up bunting across the street and closing off the road to cars.
“We are waiting for the last cars to move further up the street, we are gradually pushing our way up,” he said.
I heard about street parties through word of mouth and about the ones held in ’81 for Charles and Di.
“I’m doing this for the people of the area because no one else is doing anything, and it’s fitting as we are a traditional pub, your typical old English boozer.”
You may also want to watch:
The pub has planned free cucumber sandwiches, tea and coffee, plus egg and spoon races, three-legged races and tug of war, as well as face painting.
Aussie Kris Dobbyn has come all the way from Wales and is one of the first to stake his claim to a table inside.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
“I wanted to be in London for the wedding, I just think it’s one event that’s not going to happen again in my lifetime,” he said.