Hackney teen runs half marathon for St Joseph’s Hospice ‘angels’
- Credit: Louis Hammonds
Louis Hammonds was in the top five per cent of all JustGiving fundraisers for April, after raising over £3,000 for St Joseph’s Hospice by running the Hackney half marathon.
Louis, 19, of Southgate Road decided to take on the 13 mile run in memory of his granddad John, 78, who spent the last few weeks of his life being cared for by the Mare Street hospice.
“On the day it was really hard,” said Louis who works in the Scolt Head pub in De Beauvoir.
“It was just perseverance and the support of the crowd along the way and the thought of what I’m doing it for that got me through.
I was thinking of both my granddad and what St Joseph’s did to help him and us as a family.
You may also want to watch:
It’s the minimum to pay them back for all the help they gave him and us.
I can’t put into words - they are angels to our family.”
To sponsor Louis see justgiving.com/fundraising/Louis-Hammonds.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 9 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
- 10 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work