Hackney teen runs half marathon for St Joseph’s Hospice ‘angels’
- Credit: Louis Hammonds
Louis Hammonds was in the top five per cent of all JustGiving fundraisers for April, after raising over £3,000 for St Joseph’s Hospice by running the Hackney half marathon.
Louis, 19, of Southgate Road decided to take on the 13 mile run in memory of his granddad John, 78, who spent the last few weeks of his life being cared for by the Mare Street hospice.
“On the day it was really hard,” said Louis who works in the Scolt Head pub in De Beauvoir.
“It was just perseverance and the support of the crowd along the way and the thought of what I’m doing it for that got me through.
I was thinking of both my granddad and what St Joseph’s did to help him and us as a family.
You may also want to watch:
It’s the minimum to pay them back for all the help they gave him and us.
I can’t put into words - they are angels to our family.”
To sponsor Louis see justgiving.com/fundraising/Louis-Hammonds.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse