Hackney teen runs half marathon for St Joseph’s Hospice ‘angels’
- Credit: Louis Hammonds
Louis Hammonds was in the top five per cent of all JustGiving fundraisers for April, after raising over £3,000 for St Joseph’s Hospice by running the Hackney half marathon.
Louis, 19, of Southgate Road decided to take on the 13 mile run in memory of his granddad John, 78, who spent the last few weeks of his life being cared for by the Mare Street hospice.
“On the day it was really hard,” said Louis who works in the Scolt Head pub in De Beauvoir.
“It was just perseverance and the support of the crowd along the way and the thought of what I’m doing it for that got me through.
I was thinking of both my granddad and what St Joseph’s did to help him and us as a family.
You may also want to watch:
It’s the minimum to pay them back for all the help they gave him and us.
I can’t put into words - they are angels to our family.”
To sponsor Louis see justgiving.com/fundraising/Louis-Hammonds.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction