Hackney teenager named St John Ambulance London Regional Cadet of the Year
- Credit: Archant
A teenager who put her life saving skills to the test when a close friend had an epileptic seizure has won an award from the St John Ambulance (SJA).
Shyr-Nai Davison Thomas was named the Regional Cadet of the Year 2014 after triumphing at the national selection event held at Sedgely Park Police Training Centre near Manchester.
The two-day competition saw the SJA’s 30 best cadets from across the country demonstrate their skills, teamwork, initiative under pressure, organisation, presentation skills and leadership during some tough tasks to compete for the regional title.
The 16-year old of Millfields Estate in Caldecott Way, Lower Clapton, was thrilled to win.
“If somebody had told me seven years ago when I walked through the door of the cadet building that I’d be in this position I would have thought they were pulling my leg,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Davison Thomas who is part of the Hackney Downs SJA recently put her life saving skills to the test when a close friend collapsed with an epileptic seizure at Haggerston School.
She put her pal in the recovery position, put a blanket around her and waited with her until the ambulance came, and found her SJA training meant she remained calm under pressure.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
SJA has over 26,000 young members and believes young people should learn first aid at a young age so they can act quickly in an emergency.