Hackney teenager delivers food to key workers during lockdown
- Credit: Jack Petchey Foundation
A Hackney 15-year-old has been helping deliver food to key workers at Homerton Hospital during the coronavirus pandemic.
Caitlin Banner was recently awarded £50 and recognised for her efforts by the charitable Jack Petchey Foundation.
The teenager has been helping deliver food to her local community with other volunteers and local restaurants.
Caitlin said: “Like lots of people I wanted to do something practical to help during the pandemic.
READ MORE: Local Heroes: Young Hackney volunteers support their communities during Covid-19 outbreak
You may also want to watch:
“The staff at Homerton Hospital were working so hard and putting themselves on the line, but their cafe was closed.
“Making food for them was a simple way of showing thanks and giving them a bit of a lift, and it was fun!”
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
Caitlin was nominated for the award by Rachel Mahon.
Rachel told the Gazette: “She has been helping out four days a week for the past few months.
“Caitlin’s help has been invaluable to the group.”
The 15-year-old is the most recent winner of the Jack Petchey’s Community Awards, an award scheme recognising young people from London and Essex who are helping their community during the coronavrus outbreak.
The scheme aims to keep young people motivated through lockdown and celebrate their contributions to society.
Visit www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk for more information