Hackney tops the list for alcohol related fires
- Credit: Archant
New figures released in time for the Christmas party season show Hackney topping the list for alcohol related fires.
In the last six years, London Fire Brigade has recorded 177 accidental fires where alcohol is believed to have played a role in the blaze.
The figures have been released as London’s emergency services launched WhatsApp messaging alerts as part of Eat, Drink and Be Safe - an alcohol awareness campaign for the Christmas Party Season.
The most common causes of fires involving alcohol include cigarettes not being put out properly and candles or cooking being left unattended after people have fallen asleep.
The campaign, which is in collaboration with London Ambulance Service and the Metropolitan Police is also supported by the Greater London Authority and the City of London and aims to reduce the number of alcohol related incidents the three blue light services respond to this December.
You may also want to watch:
Londoners can sign up to Eat, Drink and Be Safe WhatsApp alerts for free, helpful video hints and reminders from the capital’s emergency services directly to their phone.
Dave Brown, London Fire Brigade director of operations, said: “When people are under the influence of alcohol they are more likely to take risks, their responses become slower and they can fall asleep easily, which can be a dangerous combination if a fire starts.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
“We want all Londoners to Eat, Drink and Be Safe during this festive period and by signing up to our WhatsApp alerts, partygoers can receive free, helpful, advice which if followed will hopefully mean they won’t need the help of the emergency services during their Christmas nights out.”
People who sign up will receive alerts throughout the Christmas party season on a regular basis until New Years Day.
To sign up to the service, people need to save the Eat, Drink and Be Safe number into their phone - 07899 782 640 and send a message saying “I’m in”.