RAF veteran from Stamford Hill thanks military charities for mobility scooter gift
- Credit: Courtesy of Leon Newmark
A Royal Air Force (RAF) veteran from Stamford Hill was gifted with a mobility scooter to help him get around.
Leon Newmark, 82, is a resident of AJEX House in Stamford Hill and did national service in the RAF back in the 1950s.
The veteran now finds it difficult to walk and so, he was presented with a mobility scooter in July.
“I’m very thankful for this wonderful gift, which has improved my quality of life,” said Mr Newmark, Chairman of AJEX Stamford Hill Branch, and committee member of the Council of Christians and Jews North London Branch.
The gift was funded by the Association of Jewish Ex-Servicemen and Women (AJEX) and the RAF Benevolent Fund with assistance from SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity.
The aviation industry and the RAF underwent significant changes in the 1950s, when Leon served, as jet-powered aircraft replaced the propeller-driven planes of the World War II era.
- 1 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 5 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 8 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Things to do in north London: Christmas markets, workshops and more this weekend