Hackney welcomes Olympic torch after colourful carnival
The Olympic torch has entered Hackney and hundreds of people are out in the streets celebrating its arrival.
A steel pan band is entertaining the crowds outside Hackney Town Hall whilst dancers are showing off their moves in Gilett Square, Dalston.
This morning the Hackney One Festival parade was a triumph, weaving a trail of colour through the streets.
Led by a traditional horse-drawn Hackney cab and a white dragon, the carnival went from Pitfield Street to Clissold Park.
Over 300 dancers from Rio de Janeiro were part of the parade as well as schoolchildren and dance groups from across the borough.
You may also want to watch:
The Olympic torch entered the borough at Shoreditch and will head through Dalston, and Stoke Newington before heading back south towards Hackney Town Hall. Finally it will travel through Homerton before leaving the borough via Hackney Marshes.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year