Hackney Wick theatre puts on digital festival to showcase its young people’s programmes
- Credit: The Yard Theatre
A Hackney Wick theatre put on a day-long digital festival on Sunday (May 17) showcasing its music and young people’s programmes.
The Yard Theatre’s virtual festival included a Zoom version of Chris Green’s No Show which was the final show they had running before the theatres went dark and closed their doors due to the Covid-19 lockdown.
It also featured choreographic work by Marikiscrycry and a cook-along with Hackney Wick local Zoe Adjonyoh from Zoe’s Ghana Kitchen.
Host Jemima Mayala told the Gazette: “Sunday was exciting. It was a chance for us as a community to come together to share the joy and laughter of Hackney Wick with different people of all ages.”
Jemima started her journey at the Yard in 2017 when she joined The Committee - a scheme for young producers. The initiative was started to improve help make theatre more accessible for young people.
You may also want to watch:
She was later employed by the theatre and now teaches and supports young people interested in theatre.
“I’m now an advocate for better communities, better theatre and for things to be more accessible for young people. I’m very grateful for that.”
To support the Yard Theatre with a donation click here
To find out more about The Yard visit: https://theyardtheatre.co.uk/ or follow on twitter @YardTheatre
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney