Hackney Wick warehouse fire: Safety warning as thick smoke pours across A12 and Victoria Park
- Credit: Archant
Thick black smoke from a blazing Hackney Wick warehouse is pouring across the A12 and Victoria Park, sparking fears for drivers’ safety.
Dozens of firefighters have been battling the huge fire, which broke out at a waste recycling plant in Hepscott Road, since 11.30pm last night.
The warehouse contained about 15,000 tonnes of mixed household waste and is still smouldering.
Fire chiefs don’t yet know what caused the blaze, which is being tackled by fire crews from Leyton, Stoke Newington, Homerton and Bethnal Green.
The London Fire Brigade has advised people in the area to keep windows and doors shut.
You may also want to watch:
Transport for London said: “Smoke from a fire in a recycling plant across the A12 near Hackney Wick is causing poor visibility. Approach with care.”
Katharina Schöffmann tweeted: “Massive fire at recycling plant in #HackneyWick blowing smoke onto A12.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
“All of Victoria Park smoky too!”
SJ Griffin added: “Smells like camping.”
MsJ replied: “More like burning waste... wouldn’t want to toast my marshmallows on that!
“Wonder what this is doing for my lungs?”