Hackney Wick warehouse fire: Safety warning as thick smoke pours across A12 and Victoria Park
- Credit: Archant
Thick black smoke from a blazing Hackney Wick warehouse is pouring across the A12 and Victoria Park, sparking fears for drivers’ safety.
Dozens of firefighters have been battling the huge fire, which broke out at a waste recycling plant in Hepscott Road, since 11.30pm last night.
The warehouse contained about 15,000 tonnes of mixed household waste and is still smouldering.
Fire chiefs don’t yet know what caused the blaze, which is being tackled by fire crews from Leyton, Stoke Newington, Homerton and Bethnal Green.
The London Fire Brigade has advised people in the area to keep windows and doors shut.
You may also want to watch:
Transport for London said: “Smoke from a fire in a recycling plant across the A12 near Hackney Wick is causing poor visibility. Approach with care.”
Katharina Schöffmann tweeted: “Massive fire at recycling plant in #HackneyWick blowing smoke onto A12.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
“All of Victoria Park smoky too!”
SJ Griffin added: “Smells like camping.”
MsJ replied: “More like burning waste... wouldn’t want to toast my marshmallows on that!
“Wonder what this is doing for my lungs?”