Hackney winter fair to showcase local talent
- Credit: Archant
A lively alternative to the traditional Christmas market is coming to Hackney on Friday.
Winter Village, a collaboration between Hackney Council and The City Showcase is a three day event at St John at Hackney Church, to celebrate the borough’s creative talent and raise awareness for Hackney Winter Night Shelter - a charity working to support homeless people during winter.
Alongside contemporary artisan traders, the Fashion Hub will be entertaining visitors with displays, and food stalls will line the streets, including Chef de Poutine and Colonel Tom’s Gumbo.
Music on the live stage has been organised by City Showcase, the year-round not-for-profit festival, including performances by up and coming artists and bands.
Feryal Demirci, Cabinet member for neighbourhoods said: “The City Showcase Winter Village is a fantastic opportunity for Hackney’s budding young artists, designers and creatives to promote and sell their work this Christmas to visitors from far and wide.
You may also want to watch:
“The contemporary Winter Village market will sit against the historic backdrop of St John-at-Hackney church, a stone’s throw from the Narrow Way that has been pedestrianised to support local shops, residents and visitors to Hackney Central.”
Nanette Rigg, founding director of City Showcase said: “Last year’s Dalston Christmas Market was a major success for City Showcase, offering a viable urban alternative to the German Christ-mas markets.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
“So this year we took the decision to expand our Christmas concept to a 3-day event and relocate to Hackney Central thereby increasing the number of stall-holders and the entertainment programme to meet demand.
Through Winter Village, we’ll continue to showcase the best of what the London Borough of Hackney has to offer.”
For more information, visit the Winter Village website.