Hackney winter fair to showcase local talent
- Credit: Archant
A lively alternative to the traditional Christmas market is coming to Hackney on Friday.
Winter Village, a collaboration between Hackney Council and The City Showcase is a three day event at St John at Hackney Church, to celebrate the borough’s creative talent and raise awareness for Hackney Winter Night Shelter - a charity working to support homeless people during winter.
Alongside contemporary artisan traders, the Fashion Hub will be entertaining visitors with displays, and food stalls will line the streets, including Chef de Poutine and Colonel Tom’s Gumbo.
Music on the live stage has been organised by City Showcase, the year-round not-for-profit festival, including performances by up and coming artists and bands.
Feryal Demirci, Cabinet member for neighbourhoods said: “The City Showcase Winter Village is a fantastic opportunity for Hackney’s budding young artists, designers and creatives to promote and sell their work this Christmas to visitors from far and wide.
You may also want to watch:
“The contemporary Winter Village market will sit against the historic backdrop of St John-at-Hackney church, a stone’s throw from the Narrow Way that has been pedestrianised to support local shops, residents and visitors to Hackney Central.”
Nanette Rigg, founding director of City Showcase said: “Last year’s Dalston Christmas Market was a major success for City Showcase, offering a viable urban alternative to the German Christ-mas markets.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
“So this year we took the decision to expand our Christmas concept to a 3-day event and relocate to Hackney Central thereby increasing the number of stall-holders and the entertainment programme to meet demand.
Through Winter Village, we’ll continue to showcase the best of what the London Borough of Hackney has to offer.”
For more information, visit the Winter Village website.